Day: Wed 15 Nov, 2017
Venue: Tieva, Lappia Hall, Rovaniemi
- Maatalii Okalik - Former President of the National Inuit Youth Council, student at Carleton University
- Daria Matveenkova - Press-Secretary and Project Coordinator, Nature and Youth, Murmansk, Russian
- Mikkel Näkkäläjärvi - President of Social Democratic Youth of Finland
- Lars-Otto Reiersen - Executive Secretary of the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP)
- Other invited panelists (tbc)
Teppo Säkkinen - Student, University of Lapland
Why this theme?
In most seminars and conferences, ours included, those who have been around for years and who have created some name mostly discuss the Arctic. But the consequences of having or not having sustainable development will be faced by those who still have everything ahead. This panel gives floor to emerging young generation in the Arctic.
Who are the panelists?
The discussion is led by Teppo Säkkinen, a Lapland University student and a former head of Centre party national youth organization. He is joined by a number of active young people from different backgrounds and countries. Also Lars Otto Reiersen, the AMAP veteran, has been invited to challenge and be challenged.
What can we expect?
The panelists will pick their favorite UN Sustainable Development Goal and tell how it should be promoted in the Arctic. They will also be asked to reflect to the high level speeches given earlier during the Conference day: did they hear only lip service or was there a real commitment to make the Arctic future a better one?